Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Holiday Bullshit

So...I don't celebrate Christmas. People give me a hard time about it.  Those same people don't give me a hard time about not celebrating Easter, which kind of proves my point. I'm not a Christian. Why should I be forced to celebrate a Christian holiday? Because that's what our commercialized society expects me to do? It was intended for Christians to celebrate the birth of Christ, not buy loads of crap for people that will end up having to return it for something they ACTUALLY want. No one is hounding me about why i don't celebrate Hanukkah. Every year I have to justify to everyone why not only I do not want gifts, but why they won't be receiving them either. Stop giving the people you love "things". Give them your time instead.  There's no price tag on that. It will never break or wear out. It will always fit.  I get people close to me who don't understand why I hate this time of year. It's hard for them to understand, because they aren't being made to feel like an asshole for their beliefs. So the next time you run into someone who doesn't get into the "holiday spirit", check your reaction. It's no more your business to "convince" them they need to celebrate than it is theirs to convince you not to.

G

No comments:

Post a Comment